Earlier, I posted my simple method for roasting beets without making a mess. I love eating them with a little bit of olive oil, lemon juice, and sea salt, but sometimes I like to dress them up. When I’m dining out, I see them featured most often in salads. But their versatility and brilliant color make them an unsuspecting star in main dishes and desserts. Here are some beautiful food blogs that feature beets at their best.
- Love & Lemon’s Roasted Beet Pear, & Walnut Salad. Pears and beets pair well together (no pun intended) since they’re both ‘meaty’ in texture and mild in flavor. Feta and walnuts round out this balanced salad with a honey walnut vinaigrette. If you want a heartier salad, this recipe has quinoa as an optional add-in.
- Baked Bree’s Roasted Beet and Orange Salad. The mild and slightly sweet flavors of roasted beets show off the sweet and tart flavors of citrus. You can use a mix of red and golden beets to make this a colorful salad for summer. The parsley adds some contrast in color, which could easily be substituted with microgreens.
- Delicious Shots’ Homemade Beet Pasta. Ingredients are often used in pasta to add color (such as spinach, squid ink, or pumpkin). Adding roasted beets to pasta produces a beautiful red pasta.
- Minimalist Baker’s Fudgy Vegan Beet Cupcakes. This is a one-bowl dessert (yay for fewer dishes to clean!), and the beets add to the rich dark color. The author PROMISES they taste delicious and chocolate-y, and not a thing like beets.
- Joy the Baker’s Chocolate Beet Cake with Beet Cream Cheese Frosting. I absolutely love what beets do for the frosting of this beautiful cake. The layers have a deep chocolate color, and the frosting is dark pink. This not-too-sweet recipe may become my favorite chocolate cake for the lovely coloring alone.
- Design Love Fest’s Citrus Shortbread with Beet Glaze. These hand-dipped cookies are simple and beautiful, and I’m going to keep them in mind for Valentine’s Day.
Do you have a favorite recipe that features beets? Please share by commenting below, or send me a tweet (@southernbeets)!