It’s the weekend! And better yet, it’s a 3-day weekend for most of us, which means there’s plenty of opportunities to fit some happiness boosters into your weekend. Greatist shared a list of 25 science-backed ways to feel happier, and I wanted to share my favorites.
1. Spend time outside. Even 15 minutes in the sun helps boost mood, and you’ll get even more benefits if you do something active.
2. Exercise. This doesn’t have to be going to the gym. Find an activity you love to do, or something you can spend time with people you love. Even going for a walk around the neighborhood releases endorphins.
3. Sleep in. Getting enough Zzzzs helps restore the brain, and helps you manage stressors more effectively.
4. Knock out a small project (or a big one). Procrastination decreases happiness, and a sense of accomplish increases it. Find something manageable so you can have the satisfaction of finishing it.
5. Buy produce from the farmers’ market, then eat it. Nutrients, especially from fruits and vegetables, can contribute to how we feel.
6. Try something new. Take a class or try a new sport with a friend. Learning a new skill can help increase confidence and self-satisfaction.
7. Practice gratitude. People that purposefully acknowledge what they’re grateful for are tend to be happier. Here is an easy gratitude exercise I posted a couple of weeks ago that’s almost as easy as counting to “3.”
8. Connect with someone. Positive relationships and connecting with others can help boost mood. Grab a cup of coffee, go for a walk, or invite some friends over to make brunch.
I’m thinking I can definitely try some of these out this weekend. What do you think?